Jul 11, 2011

A RITA is born!

Kaki Warner's PIECES OF SKY won the 2011 RITA Award for Best First Book.

Are we excited? You bet! Surprised? Not at all. Joanna has told me several times how she felt when she first found Kaki's query, and then when she read the manuscript: "I remember reading the query--it made me laugh. Kaki is so good at having you on the edge of your seat, then crying the next minute, then laughing in the next, and the first time you see that is in her query. When the manuscript finally came in, I read it that night. In full. Until the wee hours of the morning. Brady and Jessica's romance and the setting of RosaRoja just swept me away. I came in the next morning with the manuscript hugged tight to my chest, and said, 'Nancy, you've got to read this one. Now.'"

And Kaki's latest, HEARTBREAK CREEK, was reviewed by Eloisa James today on the Barnes and Noble blog.

Kaki will be doing a guest blog here next week, so you'll get to hear more about her and her books soon!

Congrats, Kaki!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kaki! I was in the audience when they announced your name, and the speech was lovely and funny -- one of the best of the night!